Why, do I work?

 

Being disabled is a part of who I am, but it doesn't define me at least not entirely. It is one aspect of my identity, but I am also a professional, a thinker, and so much more. My decision to continue working, despite the challenges my SCA presents, is a deeply personal one, driven by a combination of small necessity, big passion, and the huge desire to live a fulfilling life.

Financial Independence

Financial stability is a factor, although minor. Just because I am disabled doesn't mean my bills are any less real or pressing. Working provides me with a sense of security and independence. It allows me to support myself and, potentially, my loved ones. This financial independence is empowering and liberating, giving me control over my life in ways that are crucial for my well-being, and it won’t last long. If I get through this year still working, I will be amazed for reasons I just do not want to get into here.

Sense of Purpose

Work provides a structure to my days and a sense of purpose. It offers goal for me to strive for, challenges to overcome, and achievements to high five myself. Each task completed and each goal reached is a testament to my capabilities. It's not  just about the paycheck; it's about feeling useful, contributing to something larger than myself, and being an active participant in the world around me.

Mental Health Benefits

Staying engaged in work positively impacts my mental health. It keeps my mind active and focused, offering a distraction from the sometimes-overwhelming aspects of my disability. The routine and small social interactions that come with a job help stave off feelings of isolation and depression. It reminds me that, despite the physical limitations, my mind is as sharp and capable as ever.

Advocacy and Representation

By remaining in the workforce, I am also an advocate for others with disabilities. I am living proof that a disability does not equate to inability. My presence in the professional world challenges stereotypes and prejudices, paving the way for greater acceptance and accommodation for people with disabilities. Each day I work, I am contributing to a broader movement toward inclusivity and diversity in the workplace.

Passion and Fulfillment

Ultimately, I work because I love what I do. My job aligns with my passions and interests, providing a sense of fulfillment that is unmatched. It is a part of my identity that I cherish being formerly self employed and giving it up because of my disability would feel like losing a piece of myself. My work is a source of joy, a means to express myself and a platform to make a positive impact.

Conclusion

Choosing to continue working while being disabled is a multpurpose decision. It is driven by financial needs, mental health benefits, a sense of purpose, and the joy that work brings. It is also a form of advocacy, demonstrating that people with disabilities are valuable contributors to the workforce. My disability may shape the way I work, but it does not diminish the value of what I bring to the table. 

 

Comments