Here we go.....verdict time.

I think I have typed about 15 versions of this particular blog. I am not sure how to approach this and I keep trying to make it sound not as bad as one might think. So screw it, let's just tell it like is and how it kind of went down...

So,Wednesday was the day I made my long awaited trip to the neurologist. The appointment was to start at 8:30am. I walked into the office and it was empty, and the receptionist said how much time did you make for today? I told her, all day (I was sort of kidding).  So she informed that my appointment will be most of the morning. I didn't even have to wait I was taken to an exam room and was greeted by a nurse named Jenny.  She gave me a rundown of what was going to be happening today and she was really glad I wore shorts.  The first thing she told me to do was to take of my shoes. I did. Then she told me to put them back on. She took notes and asked me to take my socks and shoes but this time I could leave them off until we are done. I was thinking to myself, thank goodness I just trimmed my toe nails.  So then she asked to get on the bed and she said this isn't going to feel great, but you shouldn't cry!  Anyways out come the electrode thingy and the first thing that pops into my head is that scene from Strange Brew where Bob and Doug are shocking themselves with the shock therapy equipment. It wasn't quite that dramatic, I spent the next 30 minutes of her sending electrical pulses to areas of my feet and legs. The best way of describing the feeling is when you stick your tongue to a 9 volt battery, one on the back of my leg was little more of a shock and I jumped a bit and Jenny said that was normal and if I didn't flinch then she would have been concerned. I am not going to get to all the tests.  The only ones that are worth mentioning were the coordination test. These were very frustrating for me and kept asking to let me do it again because it just seemed like I should be able to do this. So ya, that was a bit disheartening.  So the neurologist came in and I spent a long time with him mostly answering questions and doing more coordination type tests. Lets fast forward....
So the Doc hit the nail on the head. He said "I don't think what I am going to tell you is a big shock and you probably just don't want to hear it. You have with definite certainty a form of spinocerebellar ataxia. Simple term: Deteriorating Cerebellum.  So ya, it hereditary.  From here it was information overload so I am not going to go into all the other information because there was a ton. So there is no treatment, the condition is degenerative.  I know there are going to be a lot of questions and I will do my best to answer any you wanna ask. I don't have all the answer yet so I will be working on getting all of them.  Right now the next step is narrowing things down more. I went for bloodwork after which was not the most memorable occasion it actually is kind of a funny story but I don't want to get to winded, so if you want to hear about it just let me know. I need to get an MRI before my next appointment in a October and couple of Trips to my GP and to see and Ophthalmologist. I pretty much went straight back to work after which may or may not have been a good idea. I might have been a little snappy with some people, I am sorry for that. As of now, I just wanna try and keep things somewhat normal, I know that isn't really gonna happen.  But I do want to say thank you to everyone who has sent there thoughts and prayers and all the positive vibes. It means everything!

Peace,
Darrin

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my family is in health care. I am back in October. If you need any help/ information/an advocate/etc. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment