The New Normal?

Today I had a doctors appointment. I am not really going to get into the whole story of why I was there but I have hit a bit of wall getting my eyesight right with the new prescription I got.  I have had diplopia (double vision) for about 6 years and it was always corrected with a prism adjustment in my glasses. Well its not working despite 3 trips to the optometrist 2 sets of different lenses a referral to a optometrist who doesn't seem to want to call me back and being put on yet another wait list to see an ophthalmologist (4-6 month). It wasn't my GP at the clinic today I got a resident!  I must say I was pleasantly surprised.  She was very thorough asked a lot of question about my current health. She did several little assessments and I felt she did a really good job! Now one thing in her assessments she asked me if certain things seem "normal". I answered "Ya, I think so". But you know what? I think that's a lie? Truth be told I am not sure if I remember what normal feels like? I think I have become complacent with many things and that's just the norm for me now. Somebody asked me if I was OK as I seemed to be walking a little funny and I answered "I'm fine, that's normal." because for me, it kind of is.  But really, it's not "normal". Not everyone I see walks around like a fucking penguin who just polished off a 24 pack of beer. But when people ask me "How ya feeling/doing/hanging?" I don't really wanna say "I'm sore/shaky/shitty/have a headache as usual." although sometime I am sure it is pretty obvious how I feel. I do admit I think I have gotten pretty good at faking when I feel like crap. It's Fight or Flight and most days I choose to FIGHT with the occasional "I don't wanna move out of bed!" day showing up occasionally. 

PEACE 
Darrin

Comments

  1. It takes so long to get into an optomologist. Isn't there any laser surgery they can do for the double vision?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I know of, double vision is usually when the muscles and your brain don't want to cooperate.

      Delete

Post a Comment