A Trip To The Torturer. (the dentist)

Today I went to the Torturer....sorry I mean the DENTIST! Apologies to all my Hygienist friends. I have never liked the dentist, not even a little, not ever. Unfortunately I hate it even more now since my SCA (Spinocerebellar ataxia) has progressed.   It's not the fact that I asked the doctor not to recline the chair back so far that I feel like I am going to fall off the side of the Earth and he still goes too far. It's when he says "How has your Parkinson's been?" as he was about to stick some instrument in my mouth. I put my hand in front of my mouth and in my clearest voice possible told him, "I don't have Parkinson's. Maybe, you should put in my chart that I have Spinocerebellar Ataxia which I told you last time and also told you then not to recline the chair so far!" Now, I don't exactly remember the rest of the conversation but I definitely finished it with something like "Maybe you should do a little research".  This unfortunately is too common. Basic Healthcare providers haven't even heard of Ataxia let alone SpinoCerebellar Ataxia.  I work in IT (Information Technology) so I know the "You have NO clue what I am talking about!" look. My optometrist has been the only doctor who has tried to even understand. My family doctor isn't too bad either and has gotten me this far. They have both tried to get me into an ophthalmologist for the past several months, I called the office today (ophthalmologist) and tried to beg and frustration sets in and my speech gets a lot worse and the person on the other end of the phone gets frustrated because they can't understand me which just leads to more frustration. So I emailed my Optometrist and she called for me, so I appreciate her so much for reaching out for me. I would like to think it's going to happen soon and I am trying to be optimistic.

On another note: You have all seen the graphics I had Signet Studio do up for me? Sandra, did an awesome job.  Thanks Again!  These are the ones that I am going to be using in my
MS Walk but I have another plan to work with variations of them and up some badass shirts!  I might with some help with Overtime Apparel get an online store going.  The idea will be to bring more awareness of my condition as well as bring some fundraising opportunities to help further the research for people with Ataxia.   The details haven't quite been worked out, but I am pretty excited and hope that I can make this happen.   For those who haven't seen the basic graphics here they are. What do you think, do you think people would buy it?  As more details become available I will be sure to let everyone.  If you have any ideas for shirts or what I should put on them, let me know.


I know some of you may not know where the whole RhinoTec  thing comes from but you can always check out my company page. www.rhinotec.ca 

Peace!
Darrin Rein


Comments