As of Friday June 14th it will have been 373 days that I have been waiting to see an Ophthalmologist in Kelowna. When I got the call last week from their office I was showering so they left a message. I admit when I saw the call display I didn't think much of it and then I listened to the message and I think I had to replay it twice just to make sure I heard "Hi Darrin, I'm calling from Dr. Waite office can you call me back so we can confirm your appointment". So I called back immediately and confirmed my appointment for Friday June 14th.
A few days has passed, and we are 3 sleeps away from the day. The process of getting this appointment has not been fun and to be honest I was ready to give up an succumb to the fact my eyesight would never be good and it would only be a matter of time that I went with the permanent pirate look. When I was continual going to the optometrist last year, I would joke with her to just stab my left eye out. With having SCA it seems that Diplopiaoften comes with it as well as Nystagmus as well. There are a lot of things with SCA that suck; The Loss of Balance, mobility, speech and basic coordination are bad enough I think the frustration of double vision is probably the worst although it actually could be tied with problems with speech.
So let fast forward a bit and stop with the pity party and how I got to writing this blog. I think it is a safe assumption that I am excited about this appointment but at the same time I have to admit I am a bit nervous. What if it is bad news? I guess I am kinda used to getting bad news. I'm still holding to work as much as I can and without my eyes I can't work. It's a struggle now but manageable. I am sitting here staring at my monitor trying to come up with a list of question that I want to address with the Doctor. Ya think I can think of any?? It's like I have drawn a blank, I have one question down and that's What corrective surgical options do I have? What if there aren't any? What if? What if? What if? Somebody slap me please, I got this,right? Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst...but that just it with this Fucking Condition it's always the worst and the funny part is that is normal but just this once to hear some good news, whatever that may look like. Good news or bad I am going to keep being me and I will...... Until I can't. I think I will split this blog into two parts I need to try to shutoff for the night.
Peace!
Darrin
Comments
Post a Comment