Apparently a 4 year wait list is acceptable in BC.  I get it, my condition is rare there are not a lot of Doctors out there who don't even know or have heard of Spinocerebellar Ataxia, then you add every other Neurological patient out there who also is suffering and you start to understand that are options out there are not great. Who do you blame for this?  There just isn't enough qualified doctors out there and the ones that are out there are overwhelmed with patients and that turns into these gigantic wait lists. I am not even mentioning non-neurological patients because we know that they are in the same situation.  I can't pretend to really know where our Provincial government stands with this whole situation. All I know is that 4 years is a long time for someone with a serious medical condition to have to wait. John Hogan are you reading this? What's being done to bring qualified Doctors to this province and keeping them here. There seems to be a lot of talk about this but very little action. It's frustrating enough having a rare disease that has very little awareness out there but then you have the added pressure of healthcare system that all we really seem to do is WAIT. First it was 6 months to see a local neurologist who gave me a diagnosis but I never felt like I left there getting the answers that I needed and to be honest at the time didn't know to ask. I spent over a year to see an ophthalmologist to help me with a visual problem directly resulting from SCA. I made over 6 trips to my an optometrist who tried to help in every way she could. I call my neurologist to ask questions only to get told that I should just call my family doctor. So why would I want to see a Neurologist that just seems like they don't want to bother with me?  I check around and try and find another neurologist that agrees to take me on BUT I have to go on a 4 year wait list?  A lot can happen in 4 years. So what exactly is one expected to do? Keep rattling other Neurologist cages? Now I am just adding pressure to already burdened system. How can we change this?

Comments