Today, I spoke with a couple of friends that are calling in sick and going skiing/snowboarding today. I better get and update! Today is throwback Thursday, and today I don’t want to think about the fact I have SCA and want to throwback a couple of great moments.
I recall one day I went to work and it had just started to snow and snow really hard! The boss had made a choice that there were to be no ‘onsite’ jobs. Most of my work was at other offices, and I really didn’t feel like cleaning my desk that desperately needed it. My cell rang and I looked at the call display and it was a fellow ski bum (who’s picture may or not be below). He also worked on the road and had been grounded because of the weather. I answered the call, knowing exactly how this was going to go.
Me: Hello
Bad Influence: (in the voice of an 8 year old on Christmas day) D, are you thinking what I am thinking?
Me: (in my serious professional voice) Yes, yes I am.
Bad Influence: Can we meet at your place in 30 minutes?
Me: I will be there in 20 minutes my gear is already in my SUV
Bad Influence: I will see you in 20.
I end the call and look around and there is one co-worker who heard the conversation. So I just said I am leaving. I didn’t say I am sick or anything like that. He just grinned and I left. Long story short that was one of the most epic days I ever had on a snowboard. So many face shots, no crowds and aside from the snowing visibility was great.
What I wouldn’t give to be able to do something like that again!
In my job back in the day occasionally there would be calls to Sun Peaks this is long before I ever lived or worked there. These calls honestly usually only took about 30 minutes to complete and nobody ever wanted them. I gladly did them and would schedule them early in the morning and get them done by 9:00am. These calls were awesome because minimum billing that we go for them was four hours. So whether it took five minutes or five hours we would always be able to bill fours hour minimum. I always came back to work at the end of the day. I might have had a bit of wind burn. I never got in trouble for it. I did my job and I did it very well. If there was something I missed while I was out, you can be certain I was staying late or starting early.
It is so easy to take these things for granted. I lived for these moments and maybe I am a little more responsible now but NOT REALLY.
Peace!
Darrin
Comments
Post a Comment