Three write-ups in as many weeks? One would think I would become better at editing my stuff, but no, I am still to lazy to reread everything that closely. This is one of those ones I actually typed out a few weeks ago but never really thought it was something you would all read, and if it’s like some of my informative emails that I send to clients, chances are many still won’t read it!
I get the question a lot recently, “How much longer are you going to work for?” or “Why do you still work?”. The honest answer is I don’t really know, until I can’t?? I am pretty sure my drivers license will get taken from me before I want to quit. As it stands right now as long as my clients are good with me and I am still doing a great job for them I will keep it up for as long as I can because it probably won’t be that long until I can’t. I have slowed it down a lot already. House calls are almost nonexistent unless I know you and your house is fairly easy to get around (no stairs or a god hand railing) I try my best to avoid that work. There are definitely people I make exceptions for. I don’t take on many new clients unless they are referred to me by another client. The only reason for this is simply because I am self-conscious and I don’t like surprising people with my condition. But having said that I make exceptions and try my best to give people full disclosure if they don’t know me. Work, for me, sometime feels like the one thing that hasn’t been stolen from me so I want to hang on to it. The work that I do can be extremely stressful and I always have taken my job very seriously. Clients like it, those closest to me, not so much. When I am focused on a troubling job, I don’t usually relax until that job is completed. Many do not think this is a healthy thing. They are right too! But whatever. A tough job can suck the life out of you during that time but when you fix it the rush is still pretty cool. Right now, I think my biggest obstacle is my vision. Some people keep their screens to far away so I really got to lean in sometimes. Oh I have reading glasses, but I always somehow forget to bring them in with me. Trying to social distance when someone is trying to show me something is somewhat challenging too; a remote session is a nice way to avoid that and many things can be resolved remotely. These days that is the preferred way to troubleshoot most problems but there are still times I have to head out which I still like doing for the most part and people get to see me, even though it isn’t always under the best circumstances. I do make my rounds to do a lot of regular routine maintenance and do some visual checks and I like interacting with those regulars as some of these working relationships I have had for many years, so I know they’ll miss me one day. 😉 Use it or lose it! I’ll always use it in this aspect of life!
Peace and Play Safe!
Darrin
Comments
Post a Comment