The Phone

There's a lot to hate about having this disease, like a lot! One of the harder things though is trying to get others to understand why you can or cannot do something a certain way.  This can happen often.  You would be surprised how often someone hands me a pen and says "write this down" or "fill this out"  or " Can you write something in this card?".  My handwriting was shit before my diagnosis, it's way worse now.  Filling out forms is the worst because like colouring, you are suppose to stay in the lines. As you can tell from the example below my printing is much better although it take me five times as long to make it semi-legible. 

In this day and age thank goodness I don't really need to write much.  But it happens. I can cope with that, sure people look at me a bit strange when I ask them if they can help me fill out a form.  But after a second the lights go on and they realize why I need help and in return I give them my big joker like smile and say thank you. One of the things I hate probably the most is my inability to speak clearly.  Those of you that know me, know this.  Talking face to face with someone is better (even with masks on) than talking on the phone.  But let me say this: I can talk on the phone, I will talk on the phone I just don't really like to talk on the phone.  There are definitely people that I do speak with over the phone and they know me and I know them so they know what to expect, it's a little more ideal and relaxing for me if the person on the other end knows what to expect. Generally if you randomly call me and I know you and expected your call I answer the call. If we do not speak regularly the chances are I will send you to voicemail. I will then listen to the voicemail and decide if it warrants a call back or I can address the matter in a text message or in an email. If you are one of those people who hands the phone and says "here, you talk to him." there is a very likey chance you are going to get a WTF look from me. Now if you happen to be that particular person and the person you want me to talk to is a random, please please please tell them that " Darrin has a speaking issue"  some sort of warning, I actually don't care what you say. I just do not like feeling  this guy thinks I have had 8 beers. Twice this week I have had to make appoitnments over the phone and been hung up on because they coudn't understand me on the phone. Thankfully someone else was able to call and make my appointment for me, because I don't think I had the energy at the moment to try and call back.  Usually if I have to call someone I don't know on the phone I will start the conversation by saying "Hey there I have a neurological condition the effects my speech, I can understand and hear you fine, just give me a few extra seconds to repsond." I do not say the same thing verbatim every time but it will be something like that. With work it happens fairly frequently and often what happens, if a person says in a message that they want me to call them on the phone, I will reply "No problem!  I just want to let you know before I call that this why I talk the way I talk."  Some people feel I should not have to justify that way I talk, I just feel better if the person is not caught off guard though.  So for now that is how I will continue to do things. When I was doing speech therapy I asked if that was appropriate and was told that you do whatever makes you feel comfortable that is when she gave me this card. I do not use it very often anymore but now and then do pull it out because it can help especially in frustrating conversation because the more stressed or emotional I am the worse I sound.


So what do you think?  Am I way off track with how I do things?  I am always open to suggestions.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Peace!

Darrin

Comments