Q & A and other ridonkulous things

Let me start off by saying that I am doing this with a smile.  Some of it is funny, some of it may come across to some as not so funny. Now don't get me wrong, a few of these things are probably down right mean.  Some of these things hit harder thans others to me and my feelings and well I got a pretty thick skin, and it seems to be getting thicker all the time. Some of these things I have posted on my social media, many events I don't post. This is a mix of questions that I have had and things I have actually experienced.  Be prepared to get a bit triggered because a few of these things sure did.

Question #1

Q: Why do you do you still work?

A:   The easy answer is because I want too!!   This has turned into a touchy conversation more than once.  Like so many good computer geeks I like helping people and I still got some game. Maybe I am not as fast as I used to be, but I still can compete. Work is actually one of those things that gets me out of bed and interacting with people.  I think that's healthy, is it? Yes, it's difficult, my eyesight still sucks, my typing is slow because I can't type (properly) anymore, communicating over the phone and in person is hard.  Email communication and remote access has helped prolong what I can do.  I can't replace things like laptop or phone screens, I do a few hardware related things but my days of scalling ladders, crawling under desks, making cables are mostly done.



Question #2

Q:  What do you miss the most that you used to be able to do?

A: So many things it is almost impossible for me to pick one.  I mean obviously being able to go for hikes, snowboarding with my friends and family (and the apres after), I was never a great golfer but just getting out there is so fun. Being able to have a normal conversation.

Question #3

Q:  Has the panademic been a bigger hinderance  to you?

A:  Yes and no? I don't know.  The whole thing has been a hinderence to everyone. I have said it before some things are actually better.  It's changed a lot of people, some for the better but some not. Social media: I love you and I hate you!

Question #4

Q: Are you vaxxed ? Are you Immunocomprimised? 

A: Yes. I am not going to argue about it with anyone. No, I am not imunocomprimsed. I am musclarcompromised.   Flu's, colds and being sick hit me way harder though and yes I get the flu shot too.

Question #5  

Q: Do you get Brain Fog how's your memory?

A:  Brain Fog is very common with my condition.  I don't actually have brain fog, yet.  My long term memory is freakishly good actually, maybe all those years working in IT helped? My short term memory is not great and it is killing my poker game. (poker players would get what I am talking about).



Question #6

Q: Why don't you make Tik Toks?

A:   Have you heard me talk? I don't have boobs and I am not that pretty?  Actually, I have thought about it but not sure how to go about it, I would need someone to want to do it with me?


I was kind of hoping I would get a few more questions but let me just talk about a few things instead.

 There are many things the I am very self conscious about. The way I talk is probably the biggest .  I can take most jokes but making light of the way I talk is one thing I have a very small sense of humor.  If you think making me repeat myself intentionally is funny and I realize it karma is coming for you. Having said that though I do have a sense of humour and if you think you can use my disability as a joke, try your best, just tread lightly. 

Another thing that has come to fruition lately is the fact I make "normal" mistakes too. I hate making mistakes, but it happens to EVERYONE.  If I  make a mistake, tell me so I can correct that mistake.  What has happened is that I have been making a mistake (for a frickin year) and have not been told so it never got corrected.  Giving me a pass because of my disability is rather insulting to me. Trust me when I say I can take it.

I went out for dinner the other night with a couple of friends. This is acutally a long story so I am just going to say this:   If you want to say something to me then say it TOO ME. The guy beside me is not my translator, I can hear and understand just fine.  That particular event ruined my whole evening because in this case the server was told at least three times to talk to me.  As well I have said this, I am not a newborn baby or a puppy. Talk to me normally and you don't need to talk really loud at me.

Lastly I do not know how to get this message across the situation is kind of funny when you think about it.  But please STOP HONKING at me to get my attention if you happen to see me walking down the street.  When I am walking someplace I am so focused on trying not to fall on my face and if you honk your car horn at me that is likely going to startle me and I fall.  Hitting the pavement really hurts and twice now someone has called an ambulance when I have not needed one.  It sounds funny now, it kind of is but just please stop!


So is there anything you want me to elaborate on?  Feel free to leave me a comment or ask me a different question. 


PEACE!

Darrin




Comments