Hope everyone had a good long weekend and if you're one of the lucky ones that got today off or took today as a holiday, I hope it is a relaxing day for you. Sometimes we say things and we sound like a jerk. The intention is not there to be a jerk, usually. I can be (a jerk)sometimes and it's intentional. I like so many people stick my foot in my mouth. I am still a human after all. Some times people miss my sarcasm, and yes, I am self depricating (did I spell that right?).So yes I can make fun of myself often. Some things happen and you need to tell a person but the intention is not to come off being angry, just so they know for next time. I was around a lot of people this weekend, which was welcomed because there is not a lot of that these days. I do much better one on one and the more noisey it is around me the harder it is for me to communicate. I don't have a lot of range in my voice and it is very difficult to articulate my tones. I sometimes sound like I am shouting and sometimes I sound like I am whispering, I don't have much volume control and generally I am loud. As a result of this, you get a lot of thumbs up or down a lot of nodding or shaking of the head, you get a lot of one word answers. Need elaboration? Usually thats not a problem just give me a few seconds longer to reply sometimes. One of the things that happens to me often is people finish my sentances or speak for me. Let me address this because it's not a very cut and dry. Read the situation. If it's a group setting and its kind of loud and I definitely do not like to talk louder and I know that the person is having a hard time understanding me and maybe they don't know my situation I am more than fine with people talking for me. For those that know me will often get a look that this person has know F'ing idea what I am saying so can you please talk to them for me. More than once I have been hung up on when trying to make an appointment over the phone and have asked people to call for me. But don't do this. Sometimes there are certain situations which someone asks me a question and I want to answer it but someone cuts me off and speaks on my behalf. These kinds of conversation are usually small (3-4 people). This is not intentional usually but if it happens repeatedly you will most certainly get a look as daggers come out of my eyes.
One thing I do want to make clear is unless your someone that should know better I don't get to upset when certain things like this happen. Most people realize there mistake right away, we live, we learn and we move on. It can be tough to read a situation because sometimes my mood can reflect my response. Occasionaly you might be the victim of someone elses annoyance. The bottom line is shit happens and how I respond to said shit is just like anyone else, sometimes it is good and sometimes it's not so good.
Peace,
Darrin
Comments


Darrin - I stumbled upon your blog when I was first diagnosed with SCA (yes stumbling is probably an accurate term). I know you post for yourself - but just wanted to let you know that there are probably more folks like me out here in the intertwebs reading along. Cheers !
ReplyDeleteI wish they would leave more comments. Love to hear that, most people leave comment through the pages they find the link.
ReplyDelete