So I am a guy who likes to use metaphors, figures of speech and sayings. Some people love them, some people, not so much. One that I seem to say often is, "There's more than one way to skin a cat." WTF does that literally mean anyways? Why is it not a dog or a fish or something else? Sorry cat people.
Anyways, back to the topic. Working in IT is always changing. Many things are the same for years then, Bam! The developer changes it. How does this relate to my SCA? Learning how to do things differently comes somewhat natural to me, not always but mostly. People need to realize that just because anyone does something differently than you, does not make it wrong. Seems fair, right? Being open minded about the way we do things is key. Sometimes we are shown a better, faster, more effecient way of doing things and sometimes people can't always embrace the change. You people know who you are! No big deal? For some of you, it is. But guess what? Who cares, you got there? Patients, we all need more! The way I do many things now is slower blah, blah ,blah. It is frustrating to know there are better/faster ways to do something but those are not always easier for people with disabities. Believe me when I say that there is nobody that is more frustrated about this than us. Got a new idea of a way the way we do things? I am not opposed to learning new ways of doing things, but just keep in mind the approach you use. Expect resistance at first, people often do not like change. A demonstration works for me the best! Let me give you an example. Typing. I have never been the best typer and now I am slower, thats annoying. I could always type with my pinky before, no matter how hard I try I can't hit the ENTER key with my pinky.Then, I just have to slide my finger over and hope that one of my other three fingers decides to work. Someone was watching me today and said that it would be much more effecient if I used my pinky. My first reaction was something like the cat above. Perhaps a virtual bitchslap too and some major sarcasm. I resisted, and as best as I could, told the person that my pinky fingers do not work very well. I am well aware of of how much it slows me down but I just do not know a faster way.Ya, ya, ya. I know the more I practice something. I believe in muscle memory and pratice and all that. It makes a difference to prolong a lot of my motor skills. But let me tell you something about a progressive disease, it tends to always be one step ahead of you. The things people say are not meant to be hurtful in fact it is quiet the opposite in most cases. There are a few turds out there but for the most part they are in the minority. You want another example? Picking up change from a table? Not always easy, doable, just not always easy.
How fast are you? This is me...actually that's pretty fast for me?
There are tons of examples, the moral of the story is to just be patient, and know that it annoys us (or at least myself.) Try not to embarass the person. Seems simple. Well to end with a saying " It much easier said, than done".


Comments
Post a Comment