Poker, It's a Game, But,The Metaphor of Life.

Poker, it's a game as old as, well, it's really old.  There is no secret, I love the game. Actually, I like many forms of gambling I prefer the live games, but these days that does not really happen often. Games often go to the wee hours of the night/morning, and this guy can stay up for those games, I technically just have a hard time getting to those games. Shuffling cards is something I just can't do without holding up the game, which is something I personally do not like doing and if I am not sitting in the front of the community cards, I can’t see well. Stacking chips, when I get them, which is not that often, is hard too. There are other things but I am not really here to get into my game. There's a lot of rules in Poker and there is, believe it or not, a lot of etiquette. So, it is a tough game to try to learn. Yes, there is lots of content on the Internet that teaches us, but it's not for everyone.  I could go into all the different types of personalities one can meet, but I would be here all day or more. There are so many metaphors that can be related not only to the game, but to life. Play the game enough and I guarantee you will hear and relate a few to yourself.  'When chips are down.', ' It's good to be lucky and lucky to be good.', 'Play the hand you were dealt', 'Poker is a lot like sex. Everyone thinks they are the best, but most don’t have a clue what they are doing.', and 'Nobody is always a winner, and anybody who says he is, is either a liar or doesn’t play poker.' The list goes on and on.  What are you favourites? I believe in etiquette at a poker table and my personal code is not always the same. It's not right nor is it wrong. People just do whatever they think. The one thing that will always bug me though is berating other players or laughing at other players, especially if that person wins the hand. Poker is a game of edges so when you have one, others will do everything to exploit it, so, if something gets under your skin and other players think they can exploit that, they definitely will and should.It's the game.  But laughing at someone is not necessary. Show some class.  Everything else is fair game. It's a ruthless game and there are thing that are going to happen. People get lucky and hit that miracle card, it happens all the time.  It's a lot like life too. Bad things can and will happen the hard part is knowing when to stay and play or just get up and take you knocks. It's a dangerous game, which is probably why I like it as much as I do, or I, like so many, am just a "Sucker for punishment!"  

 

Comments